Lung cancer is the most commonly occurring cancer in men and the third most commonly occurring cancer in women. There were 2,093,876 new cases and 1,761,007 deaths worldwide in 2018. Tobacco use is to blame for 85% of all lung cancers. The other 15% arise mainly from occupational and environmental exposures to radon, asbestos and second-hand cigarette smoke.Lung cancer has replaced breast cancer as the prime cause of cancer death for women. The incidence of lung cancer decreases when smoking is stopped; after about fifteen years the risk is the same as that of non-smokers
This article is an excerpt from the Module 1 Handbook in the Cancer Exercise Specialist Advanced Qualification course. Check out the free course overview.